Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Saturday, December 25, 2010
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Sunday, December 5, 2010
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Monday, November 8, 2010
Saturday, October 30, 2010
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Friday, October 22, 2010
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Monday, October 11, 2010
scott and zach hang around utah
How To Move to Utah and Live “The Dream”
By admin • Oct 11th, 2010 • Category: Features, Latest, Random, Videos
As Groucho Marx once said, “Utah is God’s country, and he can have it.”
Each season young shredder-types move from all over this fine nation to Utah, the 45th state admitted to the Union, with a simple rally cry: “we’re goin’ boardin.’” The Salt Lake City region is completely saturated by the snowboard industry. (I’m pretty sure the rest of the state is a barren desert awesome for shooting guns and ruining rental cars). Salt Lake is home to both multi-million dollar production companies and for-the-homies video dudes. I saw my first snowboard billboard ad in Salt Lake and, coming from the East Coast, I was pretty impressed.
Now, I could talk about how good all the Salt Lake homies were to Zach and I, how good the snow is, how fun their house parties are, etc. I could talk about how every rail from 3 to 30 stairs is knobbed, and how shitty it is to see “no snowboarding” signs at good spots, and how tweaked white people are on the whole, but I think that’s all been covered.
The video posted here is a testament to those who move to Utah with absolutely no intention of ever filming for a full length DVD or web video or seeing a dime from riding a snowboard. It’s meant to dispel the myth that by moving to Utah, you will certainly become a professional and buy a mansion next to MFM with your sponsor photo contingency money. For many of us, it’s just not happening, and I’m pretty down with that. Riding the rail gardens everyday, using student loan money to buy a season’s pass to Brighton and drinking without filming it. Emulating the “pro experience” without having any of the responsibility of being pro is pretty awesome. Just out there living the dream. I mean, fuck, that’s why they call it “living the dream” ain’t it?
With that in mind, Zach and I, got a vx1000 (not 2000, and certainly not 2100) and some pedestrian “HD” cam and started filming our “dream life.” Turns out, when put on tape, living the dream looks relatively lo-fi, and that’s the charm of it all. We had a fucking blast. 95% of snowboarding now, due to online flash videos, (remember when that shit was all quicktime?), illegal copies of Final Cut, and the HVX, is judged based on footage quality, spot originality, etc. I see nothing wrong with that, but I don’t think it should depreciate anyone trying to document their slice of the dream. The self-depreciative captions in this video are there to remind all-ya’ll that we know we could have tried harder, maybe found some new spots, attempted harder tricks, shotgunned more beer, maybe argued more with the cops to let us stay at some of the rails, or had the camera out on Brighton’s last day when everyone got that chick to show her tits, but we didn’t. Because trying hard can sort of suck and make snowboarding less fun. Here’s to the underachievers. Don’t worry about forgetting the camera on pow days, or missing that “epic session” because you have work. You’ll make some friends for life and have a great time riding, and when you make a little web video, I’ll watch it and wont even leave a comment.
– Scottie Gallo
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Saturday, October 2, 2010
Monday, September 27, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
So Zach, how has the South been treatin’ ya?
- Good as hell. The skate scene down here is awesome.
Still hot as shit?
- Oh yeah, hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock. My homie Jack R. Cox always says that.
Jack is a good man. If I’m not mistaken, you two were having a beard contest? Fill me in on that.
- Yeah, the bet is this: neither of us can shave until I graduate college. If I graduate on time, that will be in 2012. I have been growing mine since March, and he has had his since May I think. I’m whoopin’ his ass when it comes to length haha. The loser has to pay the winner 200 bucks. And if we both make it to the deadline, we are gonna smoke two huge blunts while sippin’ on fortys.
That’s my boy. Getting curly?
- Oh yeah, like a Jew down in Lakewood.
Are you in school full time?
- Yeah, everyday, skate after class. I can’t complain.
It’s not getting in the way?
- Not yet, we’ll see how long that lasts.
I’ll shoot ya straight, I don’t really know anything about the South. What’s the skating like? Any spots or ramps you are hyped on?
- The skate scene is sick. There is a killer backyard scene, from mini ramps with lumber for coping to a killer vert bowl. I’m stoked on Matt's ramp, Otis's pool, and the hanger bowl aka the John’s island wreck center and there is this sick ledge spot by my house at the aquarium. You need to make it down here.
photo: Grant Montauk
The street was your thing for a while when we were younger. Are you skating any street or just pool-doggying out?
- I am loungin’ poolside you could say. I have been at the bowl the last four days.
Chasing the muff around?
- Haha, nah. I got a girlfriend.
Yea Lindsay right? She skates?
- Yeah I’m stoked on that, I got an awesome set up.
So after you both skate the hanger bowl, do you shower and then smash, or just go for it all stanked up?
- Hahaha, we smash in the shower.
Thata boy. You used to do some hunting. Are you still into it?
- I didn’t go this year or last year. I used to be into it, but now I would rather spend all that time I’d be in a tree standing, skating.
Zach, his basement ramp, and weapon of choice.
How do you feel about vegans?
- Vegans? Fuckin’ weird. I like red meat and potatoes.
And pink meat?
- If it smells like fish.
photo: Grant Montauk
So back up north you got a pretty serious set up at your parents’ place. Ramp in the backyard, ramp in the basement. Any future plans for the Cusano compound?
- So many plans, can’t promise they’ll happen though. I got a million ideas. Bowling out the backyard and the basement is the ultimate goal. Hopefully one day.
Where is that cash flow coming from?
- My funds are coming from the MCCU, the Momma Cusano Credit Union.
Your mom is the shit.
- She has been super supportive of me skating and so has Steve. I got the set up at their place.
Photo: Grant Montauk
I love them both. You will have to tell them that I said hi. I understand you just got on Bacon. What’s up with that?
- Yeah I just found out the other day. I heard Tim ( Johnson) wanted me to call him and I did and he said he wanted to start hookin’ it up. I’m stoked! Bacon is the shit.
Hell yea, I’m hyped for ya. Couple more here for you. Budweiser or camo Keystone?
- Budweiser for sure. I’m not hyped on Keystone.
Photo: Grant Montauk
Straight joint or spliff that shit up?
- Joint all day.
I am assuming you have not gotten any tanner. From what I recall, you were whiter than a prime bag of snake. Do people believe you are from the Jersey Shore?
- Not at first sight but they eventually do. Haha, I am super pale, notebook paper underneath the shirt. My arms are kinda tan though.
Abs for days?
- Always carrying a six-pack.
Ha. Alright, give me a break down on DTB.
- Down to Burn – it’s skateboarding and smoking weed. It’s the homies from Charleston who skate together. Fuckin’ the shit.
Hell yea, any travel plans for this year?
- Up and down the East Coast, wherever I can stop.
Photo: Grant Montauk
Maybe out west? Rumor has it the weed is cheap and the girls are loose. Denver possibly?
- Sounds sick, I will see what I can work out. So many things to skate out there.
Any sponsors or other people you would like to thank?
- Tim and Angelo. Angelo owns Parrot Surf Shop, they hook me up really well. I rep their shit hard. And Tim Johnson from Bacon, I am stoked to be a part of that team.
Any last words...?
- If you’re not DTB, then fuck you.
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Saturday, September 4, 2010
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Friday, August 27, 2010
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
I realize this post is about 2 weeks late but who gives a shit. Doubt anyone noticed anyway. It is true, we were able to finish enough of the video to have a premiere in New Jersey, and I have to say the event was a success. (maybe with the exception of the episode at the Berkeley Cartaret). I am not that into writing about my own stuff so I am gonna keep it short and sweet. Charlie and Maxwell, along with their homie Chris trucked down from Massachusetts, and Nick and Greg flew in from Denver and we got it movin'. Our buddy Cesar over at Don Chucho's was tolerant enough to let us rent out his bar for the night and we hooked up with DJ Skills who brought the fuckin' funk. Those who were present know where I am coming from, it would be nice to have Skills out here to replace some of the funboys we hear "spin" every night but thats neither here nor there. Special thanks to Gene Demeter, Adam Slover, Cesar, DJ Skills, Jack Laird, Caity at Red Bull, Ron at Spellbinders, Kyle Arc for the photos, Phil Mansfield for shootin' some video, anyone else who helped us put the premiere together and of course everyone who came out and helped us suck the bar dry.